Monday, July 16, 2007

Teaching English 1st Day


Today was my first day of teaching English. I am sure it was frustrating for the students.

  1. They are not used to a native speaker.
  2. They do not know how to ask questions about the subject matter
  3. They do not know how to answer questions when they don't understand
  4. The book we are using is for adults ready to enter the work place, serve English speakers (and I mean serve as a shop girl, a bus or taxi driver) & are not 10-12 years old
  5. My students are 10-12 years old When are they going to use this stuff?
  6. By the time the book is relevant in their lives they will have forgotten it
I think this class should be centered around conversation. How to introduce yourself. Not some mindless "May I help you, sir?" Stuff.

Just my two cents.

No comments: